Saturday 25 May 2013

Great Uncle James Evans - First Military Cross, Irles 1917

From the London Gazzette


Temp. Lt. James Oliver Richard Evans,

M.G.C.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to

duty. He led his men forward in a most

gallant manner, and succeeded in capturing

two enemy machine guns. He set a splendid

example to his men, and rendered invaluable

assistance throughout.

This is extracted from Chris Baker's outstanding report on my great uncles war record in the First World War. Once I have worked out how to share the whole report I will post on that too!

Amazingly I have stood on the exact spot where this Irles action took place and have seen the same bunkers my great uncle captured way back then!

I will be going back to the Somme next week to see if I can get access to the land these bunkers are on and get even closer to the site - almost standing in the shoes so to speak!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment